Thursday 31 May 2007

potato fright


Oh no! I think my potatoes have blight. I was over-eager and ordered all my seeds, onion sets and seed potatoes in January. The box containing all these I put in my studio and forgot about for a fortnight. The seed potatoes, seduced by central heating and the dark containment of the box, began to sprout far too early. When I remembered I remedied this and thought I’d saved them but now I may be paying for my neglect…

…Just spoke to my allotment neighbour who tells me there was a frost two days ago - so it’s not blight after all and hopefully only minimal frost damage – hooray! I earthed up most of my potatoes last time I was here, perhaps I’m becoming more intuitive than I’d realised.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hurray for the saved potatoes! This gardening thing is so time sensitive isn't it. I have a tendency to be really enthusiastic then neglect things just at the wrong time.

Unknown said...

I think its been warmer up here than Bakewell. We've just eaten our first potatoes of the year. Never been so early before and although its always a worry with frost we seem to have got away with it. I've got a photo, because they looked so beautiful, but the blog won't let me put it on. I'll email it to you if you let me know the address.