Tuesday 15 May 2007

after the rain



Early afternoon, warm and dry but still overcast. Once it finally started raining last week it did it steadily for several days, almost filling the water butts and waking up the dozing seeds. All of a sudden germination is happening – carrots, lettuce, endive, chicory, peas and cabbage both red and green – everything reaching for the sky. I’ve discovered that what I thought was comfrey and transplanted in the corners of my bean and potato bed are foxglove. Fruits are swelling, some gooseberries almost fully grown – I’m guessing the goldfinch gang will be first to know when they’re ripe.
I dreamed last night that one of my neighbours had rotovated the bottom part of my allotment behind their bungalow and was using the space for hanging out their washing. I think this must be separation anxiety on my part as I’ve been at home writing the last few days.
There are a whole gathering of poppies bowed and swelling in amidst my raspberry canes.
I’ve plans to rig up a poly-lean-to behind my shed to acclimatise my young tomatos and to collect the rain.
I must now be a qualified gardener, a robin just perched on my fork.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is all very well, but lets hear from the potatoes!
XX
Dave

laura wild said...

hello Dave, how lovely to hear from you. Potatoes seem happy despite having green-fly on their sprouts which I only spotted as I planted the last one! How are your potaoes doing?
Love to you and Sue xx

Unknown said...

Think I've done the comfrey/foxglove thing too! I've collected a clump from various places they had seeded themselves and now I look at them and I'm not sure they are all foxgloves.

laura wild said...

Ha! Hope you get comfrey, it's the gardener's friend.