Wednesday 2 May 2007

planting herb and salad bed




Seminar and Forum were cancelled today so I have a bonus day for planting. It took me some time to prepare myself for this serious task, or so it seemed to me. Maybe it’s conditioning but I’ve gone for a geometric kite-shaped planting for my herb and salad bed, paying attention to the sun/shade requirements of each plant… no time for reverie today.

Returned at 6.30, realised whilst walking Sandy round to the end of his rope extension that since the herb bed is now planted, and he’s been basking on it this week, I need to create a boundary. This I am doing with twigs however it’s not much of a deterrent since he seems to think I’ve put them there for him to chew. I remember now I was at about this stage last year when I stopped bringing him with me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Laura! I was so delighted to get the link to your blogg, especially as you have been in my thoughts over the few days running up to receiving it. I spent yesterday in the woods (thinking through walking) amongst the bluebells and woodpeckers there, with John. We took a picnic lunch and a book about a woman called Isobel Bird who was sent to Canada for health reasons by her doctor in 1873. She had a spinal injury and chronic depression. She felt immediately better on arrival in a frontier town and set off horseback in her 'Hawaiian riding dresss', with a horse that had 'plans of its own' into a forest full if grizzly bears, the only woman for miles around!The book is comprised of letters that she wrote to her sister back in Scotland.
To see your herb patch gives me the scent of the warming ground that always signals an excitement in me at this time of year and digging is my favourite part of gardening, precisely because it is a process through which I can discard the thoughts that clutter my head and find my way through to the real stuff that counts.
I really liked your use of a data disc to mark your planting.
With lots of love from Jane x

laura wild said...

Lovely to hear from you Jane, I posted a birthday present to you yesterday, couldn't remember exactly which day but I know it's around now. I like the story of Isobel Bird.
Hopefully we'll catch up in person before too long.
Love Laura x

Unknown said...

I received it yesterday...all in tact! Could have played football with it, it was so marvellously wrapped. Thankyou, Laura. I wish I had an allottment to use my lovely new earthy mugs on! They would double as hand warmers on a day like this.
I am enjoying your blogg. You mention a farmers market in yesterdays one. What are you up to?
Love Jane p.s.