Friday 4 May 2007

mischievous finches



Despite the forecast of a sunny afternoon it’s been grey all day and much cooler, rain is on its way, in anticipation I’ve sowed two rows of peas using the blackcurrant prunings I saved for pea-sticks.
Sandy’s just been on my salad bed again, he even dug a hole earlier when I wasn’t watching.
I spotted some baby gooseberries and within half an hour of seeing them three goldfinches arrived as if by telepathy, (yes, I know, they’re beautiful) they were grubbing about in my onion bed, I’m sure it was just a cover for a takeover. I’m now wondering whether my gooseberries weren’t barren last year after all. I had a robin here today too, a much more welcome visitor than the finch gang.
The rubbish lorry is coming again in the morning, unusually two weeks in a row. This means an early start as he is here and gone between 7.45 and 8.15 am.
I just surprised one of my neighbours who popped her head up over the fence and didn’t expect to see me sitting here… we talked about the weather, of course.

No comments: