Wednesday 2 January 2008

another little bird in flight



Arrived here about 2.45 for the last bit of daylight after delivering our middle daughter to Manchester airport destined for 5 months in Finland. I needed to be here to get myself grounded after an emotional ‘au revoir’.

The Met office is forcasting sub-zero temperatures soon so I’m digging urgently. I have begun to define the top edge of my broad bean beds, which has meant clearing the bank of michaelmas daisy roots. In doing this I have discovered the cowslips that have delighted me two springs in a row. I therefore dug these, cleared their roots of bindweed and replaced them more or less where I found them since I’m assuming they are self-sown and therefore like where they are. Whilst shaking the soil out of one of these plants I found a tiny horse shoe that I decided to replant under the said cowslip and to conduct some research into folk lore as to whether this may have been deliberately placed thus by a previous occupant.

Tonight I am planning to continue reading Levinas’ philosophy of ‘the face’ as my reading this morning has caused me to wonder if there is some relevance for my meetings with people here at the allotment.

Wondering if my little bird has alighted in Copenhagen yet, the first leg of her flight to Finland

No comments: