Wednesday 26 March 2008

an invitation for me and another for you




I’ve been digging along the wall between my shed and my shady seat. The intention is to create a flat path, since the previous one has always been sloping and slippery, and also a bed for perennial herbs. I grew sage, thyme rosemary and tarragon last year and now want the bed they are in for a seedbed. Whilst I was digging I came across, as usual, a number of objects that had found their way into the ground accidentally. I have developed a way of using these found objects as a means to collaborative story telling in the context of an art audience. - http://www.laurawild.org.uk/BLOC%20Assembly.html - I am wondering if it may be possible to do the same thing within my blog via the comments box? If you would like to try this please click on ‘comments’ below and continue the story that I will begin there.

I arrived in time for my lunch today. Yesterday my bungalow neighbour had mimed ‘come and have soup tomorrow’ and said ‘about quarter to one?’, so despite a busy morning this was an invitation I didn’t want to pass by. He called me in last week too and sat me at his kitchen table from which there is a view of my fruit beds through the window.

I’m just about to pack up and go home. My back is feeling the lack of digging replaced by long car journeys for five days around Easter weekend. I picked some daffodils for a neighbour who always stops to chat on her way up the lane (she once gave me a bundle of netting for my fruit bushes). She was talking about needing a sprung rake to get the moss out of her lawn, so I’ve lent her mine as I rarely use it.

3 comments:

laura wild said...

Today I dug up this rusty bit of metal and cast it aside. It was only when I'd finished digging for the day that I realised it has once been a pair of tailor's scissors...

Anonymous said...

The blades were fused together from years of lying in the ground and I felt the cold weight in my hands. I ran my fingers around what remained of the inside of the handles and fancied that I could ...

Anonymous said...

... feel the spirit of the tailor in the scissors. I sensed that the last thing they had been used for was to cut the cloth for a wedding suit.

I wondered whether the tailor was also a keen gardener but...