Saturday 29 March 2008

dodging the weather

The MET office seem to be spot on at the moment, rain all day yesterday and brilliant sunshine this morning followed by rain for the next few days. So, I came over early today to work while I can. Sure enough after a gloriously sunny start to the day it’s now late morning and clouding over. Yesterday’s downpour meant that digging has been a less than satisfactory experience so I decided to clear up my shed. I’ve been in the habit of storing my found objects just outside my shed and I’m realising that, these being the one part of my allotment activity that I will eventually take with me, I should be taking more care of them since they, unlike my tools are irreplaceable. So I now have them carefully stored under my potting bench next to the box containing objects I unearthed during the digging of my previous vegetable plot in Newlyn, Cornwall.

On Thursday a friend and I planted potatoes; Orla, white earlies which we’ve put in next to my broad beans that are beginning to make an appearance and Verity, a white with pink eyes of which I have twice as many as I’ve provided space for. I’m considering digging yet another potato bed for my Desiree, reds, which still need to go in and in the meantime planting the rest of my Verity in the Desiree bed. I wonder what a psychoanalyst would make of that? Two years ago I realised once I’d done it that I’d planted Amour and Desiree in the same bed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Laura,
Something is peeping through in my herb pot that you sent me. It is too tiny to identify or even smell.
I have positioned the pot on my desk by the window in my work room. Here I can keep a careful eye on it alongside my other seedlings (sweet pea, tomato, pineapple sage and love lies bleeding - I think that we should keep this one well away from your amourous potato bed!)Love Jane x

Anonymous said...

Well I don't know what the psychoanalyst might make of it but I think you've made an excellent choice of potatoes!

I'm growing Verity for the first time because it was recommended as a substitute for Pomeroy. Whether it will match up to the latter's excellent qualities remains to be seen. I live in hope.