Wednesday 31 October 2007

fencing preparation


I’ve just realised having written this date that it’s hallowe’en.

I’ve finished uprooting a pernicious rhizome that was dominating the boundary between me and one of the bungalows, it reminded me of a battle I had with bamboo in my last plot.

I’m trying to think of a friendly type of fence and have decided that whatever I use will have sweet peas growing up it. I’m wondering about 2ply, twisted garden wire threaded through the existing concrete posts’ holes for the horizontals and then raspberry canes or bamboo woven into the wire twists to create verticals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fences are definitely for growing things on. Where are the blackberries? You can still grow sweet peas in the summer but blackberries give you form and strength in the winter. Yes and raspberries.

Not sure about the bamboo.

I grow Jerusalem artichokes round the boundary as well but not everybody likes them and they can be a bit invasive. They have lovely little sunflower type flowers in October too.