Wednesday 3 October 2007

boundary concerns




Tuesday 2nd October

I’ve just dug out some pre-historic nettle roots… Tiny the cat has climbed onto my lap and is head-butting my writing hand… Cat’s bored now, gone to peruse the neighbouring allotment. The ancient nettles I’ve been tackling are at the furthest, lower corner of the allotment, close to my rhubarb and Jerusalem artichoke and encroaching into my bungalow-neighbour’s lawn along with thistles, teazles and bindweed. while I was working more over his side of the non-existent wire fence than my own I realised that I seem to be concerned with boundaries. I’m thinking that rather than working from the middle to the edge (and never getting there), I could work in reverse to establish good boundaries. By ‘good’ I mean friendly whilst clearly present. I’ve been upset this year by one of my neighbour’s ill-considered boundary matters and this has convinced me to take note of reasonable requests and act on them as soon as possible. This will include pruning my damson tree that disturbs a neighbours view of the hills as well as cutting back the trees and nettles from my side of the main path so that the allotmenteer who mows the path can get in closer to the wall.

No comments: