Sunday 30 December 2007

pre-planning



It’s so mild today that I’m able to sit on the palette under the elder/rose arbour, my usual position for drinking coffee, writing and contemplating during the hot summer months as the elder provides consistent shade. I’m here alone today which has become unusual, I’m digging, of course… almost a third of the way along the bottom section and path that runs along the edge of the upper section. This is all entirely virgin territory as far as I’m concerned, apart from the artichoke and rhubarb that I planted up against the wall last summer. So, when it comes to a plan for planting, anything goes really.

I am going to have to address this issue of planning pretty soon as I should probably already have made my seed order, planted garlic and be ready to soon put in broad beans. I’m going to designate a seedbed this year so I can be prepared with brassicas for next winter. I haven’t yet managed this very successfully, just the few straggly cabbages that are in front of me where I’m sitting here and that smell as though they’re starting to rot.

No comments: