Tuesday 7 October 2008

Last allotment visit





Tuesday 30th September

It’s all over! Yesterday was my last day – I went equipped with my friend’s dainty spade and secateurs, arrived at 9.15 and was done by 11am in time to collect my youngest daughter and deliver her to a dental appointment (wisdom teething problems). I harvested 2 sweetcorn, 3 courgettes, a few autumn raspberries and a host of runner beans. I added revoltingly slimy compost and activator to the compost heap as I didn’t want to leave this unpleasant task for my successor. Then, I dug summer and autumn raspberry plants, gooseberries and blackcurrants for transplanting and picked purple daisies. This was when I realised I’d finished and that there was no need to return as planned in the afternoon which meant instead I had time to visit my friend who is convalescing after a nasty accident and deliver the raspberry canes she’d asked for as well as daises and raspberries that were all a bit squashed having shared the car boot with my Labrador dog! My last photo was of ‘Tiny’ the black cat who had greeted me on this last visit and also my first and most others in between.

No comments: