Thursday 15 November 2007

ordinary transformation

As I was sawing just now I came across an elder branch that had one polished bark-less side where it had clearly rested and rubbed against another branch influencing its growth into an irregular, twisted shape. I was reminded of a dear friend who worked and subsequently died in an accident on a scrap yard near to where I used to live. He used to save these sorts of branches to show me and he’d then carve and transform them into creatures that were suggested by the knots and twists in the branch or root. He would do the same with discarded metal using welding. As I was contemplating him and the influence he has clearly had on my current art practice I gazed up to the cloudless blue sky to see two planes drawing a heavenly kiss above me.

No comments: