Monday 19 November 2007

dark too soon


Sitting here in my shed in the dark, just as well that my laptop has an illuminated keyboard. I’ve taken a photo of myself that looks like something from hallowe’en!

It’s only 4.39 and it is now so dark I couldn’t see what I was digging and had to stop. It rained all day yesterday and I didn’t get here until later today as it started wet so the ground is pretty saturated. I started digging the lower section and became frustrated by it all being heavy and sticky so I did some pruning up by the wall that we are repairing, me and my wall-building friend. Since then I’ve been digging along the wall, which is much lighter and not as wet as the lower section. I’ve been digging out nettle and willow-herb roots and finding the most perfect soil. I think I’ll use this section for a seedbed and then plant pumpkins and marrows along it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems very incongruous to have the laptop on the plot but I love the idea of the pictures coming back so quickly and directly.

what a fantastic opportunity to follow the progress of a potato from the point you choose the variety, perhaps in the solitude of your shed, through the chitting to the trench, the manure.... I'll have to stop. I'm getting over excited. Anyway as you know I think potato cultivation is the answer to all known allotment problems

XX

Dave