Thursday 5 July 2007

liberation deliberation


It’s clouding over again after a hot and sunny start. I’m continuing where I left off yesterday, I suppose you could call it weeding - although this always conjures up a picture of kneeling at the edge of a flower border pulling out freshly germinated weedlings (which maybe says more about my family than anything) – my kind of weeding involves pulling up willowherb, nettles, thistles all about shoulder height and some creeping stuff, that must have been the inspiration behind Velcro, together with columbine binding it all together. However, apart from creating hard to dispose of enormous piles of debris, there is an amazing sense of liberation because it means I can start to walk around my allotment again and, more importantly, the plants can experience the light of day. I had no idea how many nearly-ripe blackcurrants there are.

What I think was a kestral just flew over clutching prey in its talons.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know that velcro stuff!! I'm saving it for next year as it's all over the beds at the back of the garden (along with the ground elder - cue ominous music.....) and I'm concentrating on getting the bindweed out of the bed I've tackled this year. It's a strange business nurturing some things and discouraging others, isn't it?

laura wild said...

Yes it is. I don't see weeds as enemies as some people seem to, just that we have an interesting working relationship! It's about boundary issues again. I agree with you though that ground elder does seem to be the hardest to negotiate with and doesn't even try to mitigate by producing beatiful blooms like bindweed and willow-herb.