Sunday 10 June 2007

dead or alive?




I’ve just weeded, thinned and transplanted my red and green cabbages – a satisfying task as I was ambivalent about their germination only a few weeks ago. I’m hoping the same will happen with my squashes, pumpkins and courgettes that all seem to be reluctant to hatch.

I could be feeling despondent about the amount there is to do so now is the time to remind myself of why I’m here and to enjoy the wildness, its unpredictability and the fine line between success and failure. In other words to practice what I preach!

I certainly seem to be encouraging nature, so many birds and yes, a ladybird feeding on the black-fly that arrived on just a few of my broad beans.

The cabbages I transplanted seem to be playing dead, I’m hoping it’s just temporary shock. My rocket has failed to germinate and I’ve only one small coriander plant – so – I’ve sprinkled vast quantities of seed I harvested 2 years ago and watered them in, hoping some of these will take instead.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The phrase "fine line between success and failure" really resonates with me today - I'll think on this and see if it yields anything interesting.

Unknown said...

Hi Laura
Thought I'd drop in for a quick inspection!
Is there like a rotation plan for this plot or is the layout part of a large work of art? (Looks like the latter)
Surely it must be time to dig up some of those excellent looking potatoes before the slugs move in? and don't worry about the cabbages. If the slugs don't get them I bet they will be thriving by now.
I never have much luck with rocket at this time of year although with all this recent rain things might be different. I scatter it randomly after I've dug up the potatoes and that seems to work fine and it lasts through the winter.

Unknown said...

Dead or alive?
I was devastated to find I had accidentally hit a large toad really hard with the sharp edge of my spade when digging. I was trimming the edge of the path and it was hiding under the grass. I thought it must be dead but then it moved slightly so I put it gently on the compost heap where I'd seen it once before .

Next day I came back and hey presto there's my toad out in the rain loping around casual as ever!
It must have been really really thick skinned.

PS Have you got any raspberries?

laura wild said...

Hi Dave, had our first potatoes last night, mmmm and raspberries for pudding! I'm sharing the latter with the birds but still seem to have a fair share. Yes, I do have a rotation plan, surprisingly, and of sorts, very complicated actually because of companion planting considerations and the aesthetics of my triangular ground plan. I'll post a map at some point. Hurrah for the toad! latest sowing of rocket is successful but still can't get coriander to germinate this year.

Incidentally the day you wrote in was our silver wedding anniversary!