Monday 26 May 2008

gale-force glazing

It’s Bank Holiday Monday and I have decided to spend most of the day at the allotment rather than at the nearby college that my partner works at where there is a Festival with thousands of people attending. I have dutifully done some gardening there in preparation, given some people bed and breakfast and baked a cake for the college committee so I don’t feel too guilty.

It is extremely windy here today. I opened the door of my shed and one of the big panes of glass began flapping, my glazing skills leave a great deal to be desired. I rushed outside with a hammer and some tacks and have managed to salvage the situation before the glass blew right out as was the fate of its predecessor.

I haven’t been here for a couple of weeks apart from calling to water seedlings and harvest rhubarb and herbs so there is much to be done. My neighbour who I’ve planted beans for hailed me and asked if I’ve been away in Cornwall. He summoned me to ‘come and see your handy-work’. Most of the bean seeds I planted are now visible and looking strong despite the dry, windy and frosty weather, so he is happy.

Saturday 31st May

Consulted with allotment neighbour and decided to plant out half my tomatoes, chillies, basil, fennel and coriander seedlings. I weeded rocket beds and plan to plant lettuce in 2nd rocket bed in the gaps and brassicas next to the fennel thus leaving my seedbed free for squashes when they’re ready. Finished digging runner bean bed, 2 rowsx8canes- 2 seeds per cane, my own seed from 2 years ago and homemade compost. Re-sowed French beans, only one each of blue and red survived. Sowed more peas, Norli, where older seeds failed to germinate.

No comments: