Friday 4 April 2008

"plant a potato for me"

The friend I planted potatoes with last week sent a text last night saying ‘plant a potato for me’. I took this to mean the same thing as ‘say a prayer’ or ‘light a candle’, but in my context. Oddly, I’d just been thinking whilst hanging my washing that I really should have all the beds I’ve dug planted by now. So, I came here today to do just that which also meant planting up my newly dug annual herbs’ bed. This includes parsley, coriander, rocket, both cultivated and wild, dill and chervil. Some of these seeds are not too fresh so may not germinate, we will see.

This evening we are travelling to Cornwall and I am hoping to visit some of the people who also knew and loved my friend from the woods.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't think of a better way to remember someone who was obviously so close to nature than to plant a potato for them.

Just as a candle gives off comfort through its flame, so will the humble potato bring joy and comfort as it pushes its way up through the soil, and flowers.

As you enjoy the new potatoes with butter and mint you will be able to remember your friend and how he would have enjoyed the moment.

Anonymous said...

I've tagged your blog. Check my blog and see what it means.x